Thursday, September 28, 2006

VANISHING ACT...

Boy, I did a real vanishing act didn’t I. I can’t believe I haven’t updated this page since I found out about my cancer!
Well, just so you know… I’m doing ok. I’m taking it a day at a time, just like anyone else would. Of course I have my moments, but don’t we all!
Here is a quick update:
I’ve had a complete modified radical mastectomy on my right breast.
They removed 20 lymph nodes and found cancer in 3.
All other tests were clear. So I’m hoping it was contained and they got it all.
The tumor itself was 15 cm with patches of malignancy sized at 1cm, 3 cm and 5cm.
I am currently doing chemo and am now halfway through it.
I go to Birmingham every two weeks for treatment.
I opted to join a study to do an experimental drug along with the chemo called Avastin.
I will continue with the Avastin for a year.
I’m not sure about radiation treatments yet.
I still have to go through reconstructive surgery, but I can’t do that until after I stop the Avastin.
Those are the highlights.
I have cried and felt like I could drop off into a deep depression, but I have so many reasons to feel blessed!!!
I have lost my boob, but they can make me another one.
I have lost my hair, but it will grow back with time.
I am sick from the chemo probably 65% of the time, but I know I will be better when it’s over.
We are so broke from missing work, traveling, prescriptions, doctor bills, etc… but God will get us through it. He blessed me with friends, family and work that have helped tremendously!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

So good to see a post from you. It sounds like you are DEALING and that is all you can do right now. As long as you're still able to see the positive blessings in your life, you'll be just fine.

I think of you often...

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dixiedynamite74. Make your own badge here.