Monday, June 19, 2006

IT'S BEEN WHILE....MISS ME?

Well... Here I am.
I often have a vision of sitting in a hammock overlooking an amazing open green field with yellow and red flowers in bloom. In the distance I see two little girls taking a walk with their mother and they are all wearing white dresses walking through the field picking the flowers. Then there is the girls little brother and father walking behind them trying to catch crickets and grasshoppers to use for fish bait. They wander off in the distance and my day ends with a hot bath and a good book.

Yeah this is just one of many fantasies that I wish my life was like, but my life has been far from this!!!!!! Most of you know that I haven't had anything near a life like my fantasies in fact, it was a nightmare. So things can only get better right - WRONG

I have now faced another obstacle ... BREAST CANCER
That's right. The big "C" has now graced it's presence in my body!
Here is the set up -
I find a lump on the top of my right breast while in the shower. So I tell myself, "oh it will go away." A month passes and it is still there. I tell Todd and he of course tells me to make an appointment. But I wait. Then, I find out that a close friend of mine had just been diagnosed and was going for surgery. This was my wake up call. I made my appointment and I ended up being in the same situation as my friend. Lucky for me, she has been there every step and has walked me through it all. Plus I have another friend whose mother has faced it as well, so I have had a huge support system.
Of course the first thing that ran through my mind was "WHY ME"!!! But then I just decided that I am glad it was me and not my son, husband or grandmother. I don't think I could handle it as well if it had been one of them.
Anyway - I was diagnosed and had a modified radical mastecomy last Tuesday. I am now at home hoping for a full recovery. I know I have a long road ahead of me, but I know that I am strong enough to face it, I have two drain tubes that will be coming out on Monday, then I have to be fitted for a prosthetic. I will also be starting chemo soon and maybe radiation treatments.
After all of my treatments then I will have to wait at least 6 months before I can go through reconstructive surgery. Then I will be as good as new!

I just want everyone to pray for me and my family and I know all will be well!
I am a firm believer in that what does not kill us, will make us stronger!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

Then you must be the strongest woman I know! After going through so much in your life, and to tackle this obstacle with grace is amazing. I am in awe of you.

Please keep us updated on everything...you are in my thoughts and prayers constantly...

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dixiedynamite74. Make your own badge here.