Wednesday, November 30, 2005

YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!



OK. I don't really care for Christmas much. THERE - I SAID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that sounds horrible especially since I do have a young son, but I have always been this way. I can't stand to decorate and I REALLY dislike X-Mas music for the most part, but there are a couple of songs I can deal with. I blame it on my upbringing because of the lack of enthusiasm of the holidays with my family. You see, I grew up in an extremely poor family, so we never really celebrated holidays much because of the lack of $$$! We just did what most people did that didn't have money - we did what we could and was thankful for that! We spent most of our time with the church celebrating the real meaning of the holiday. My grandmother raised me and she didn't think that it should have been about the gift giving and she was/is right, BUT life just doesn't work that way anymore. Certain THINGS are expected this day in age and I do my best to cater to that theory. Trust me, my son does NOT go without no matter how broke I am. Maybe that's what gets me down so - because I feel that I can't do enough for him no matter how much I provide him with!
So for this deranged thinking, I am always a SCROOGE during Christmas. In fact, I am now known as Ebenezer at work! {Hey, what can I say - people call me as they see me and I have no quams with that!}

Now for the reason for this post! There is only one thing that I look forward to during this time of the year and that is watching "A Christmas Story" with Austin and Todd. This is our tradition to watch it as a family each year. I know most people like to watch the more traditional classics, but this one is my fav. I never miss it. If it's on TV I will watch it, even all day! I have been known to watch it numerous times in one day due to TBS airing it as an all day marathon! But get this, I also own this movie - (thanks Jackie), but I only break it out during the Christmas holidays when I don't really want to watch it on TV due to all of the commercials. Now Todd can only handle it once or maybe twice, but his reaction after two is usually, "Man, not this AGAIN!!!!" So I guess that is part of the tradition for me to hear that time and time again each year!!!! Austin and I love it though - especially when Flick gets his tongue stuck to the pole or when Ralphie beats the bloody snot out of Scut Farcus!!! You just can't beat the reality of it!

So to all of those readers that are wonderful Christmas spirits and actually like this time of the year -

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

- Your Friend, EBENEZER

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

I'm having issues with Christmas this year. regardless of your religeous slant or belief system, Christmas should be about people - family and friends.

Seems more and more like it is about performance fleece and masage chairs and DEBT.

I woudn't mind debt to save a family member (cancer treatments or heart transplant) it's all worth it, but to get some one a chinsy Martini set? Screw all that! I want the meaning of Christmas to come back!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Well, I LOVE Christmas and am trying to NOT stress about the lack of funds. Of course, it's easier for me because Ashleigh is still to small to know what Chrismas is. So the gifts she will get this year she'll love, but we're the adults are the ones who really get the joy out of it. And everyone else just knows we're broke, LOL!

OH, and I finally got a copy of that movie for myself! Kenneth and I both LOVE it.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dixiedynamite74. Make your own badge here.